The Government of Ukraine is working towards the establishment of a modern and professional public service to meet European norms for public administration. In response to a Ukrainian request for advice, the Canadian International Development Agency developed the Ukrainian Civil Service Human Resources Management Reform (UCS-HRM) Project to support the Main Department of Civil Service of Ukraine (MDCS) in its civil service reform efforts.The overall goal of the UCS-HRM Project is to support Ukraine’s efforts in developing an accountable and transparent civil service that is in line with European (SIGMA/OECD) norms through targeted reforms of the central government human resources management system. This Project was formalized further to a Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Government of Canada and the Government of Ukraine concerning the Ukrainian Civil Service Human Resources Management Reform Project on May 26, 2008 in Ottawa, Canada.
The overall goal of the UCS-HRM Project is to support Ukraine's efforts in developing an accountable and transparent civil service that is in line with European (SIGMA/OECD) norms through targeted reforms of the central government human resources management system.
Further to the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the Governments of Ukraine and Canada on May 26, 2008, the Project's is broadly aimed at achieving four objectives - those of:
- Supporting the Ukrainian Party in the development of a strategic framework and in the reform of national legislation, public policies and procedures in order to enhance the efficiency of human resources management in the system of the civil service of Ukraine;
- Supporting the development and integration of consistent and effective processes and procedures of human resources management based upon principles of political neutrality, transparency, meritocracy and equality (including gender equality) into the Ministries and other central bodies of the executive branch of Ukraine;
- Enhancing the capacity of the MDCS of Ukraine and the human resources units of separate central bodies of the executive branch to effectively implement human resources management processes and procedures in a sustainable, transparent and politically neutral manner;
- Developing and institutionalizing a sustainable human resources management training and mentoring program.
- Leadership Development and Training;
- Supporting a Professional and Sustainable Civil Service;
- Strengthening Governance and Infrastructure.
The expected impact of the UCS-HRM Project is that a competent and professional Ukrainian civil service will operate within an improved human resources management governance framework that respects human rights and democratic principles.
You can download the Project Presentation here.